In the Event of A Card Compromise
Oct 6, 2014
Below are some important points to consider in the event of a debit or credit card compromise. First and foremost your accounts with ORNL Federal Credit Unions (ORNL FCU) are monitored 24/7 by an experienced team of security professionals for any suspicious or potentially fraudulent activity.
At ORNL FCU, we employ the most advanced fraud detection and prevention technology to guard members’ credit and debit accounts against unauthorized access and use. Unless you are contacted directly by an ORNL Federal Credit Union employee or official notification you can continue to use your ORNL Federal Credit Union debit and credit cards. Visa’s Zero Liability policy ensures that you are not responsible for unauthorized purchases made on your ORNL Federal Credit Union debit and credit cards. Visa Zero Liability
Often in a breach, personal information may be stolen such as names, mailing addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. While this does not directly impact your debit or credit card, it is important to understand that this type of information is often used in telephone, email, mail and online scams. It is important to safeguard your personal information and NEVER provide it at the request of a call, letter, email link or screen alert. We will NEVER contact you and request your personal information, including account information.
Tips for safeguarding your information:
- Scam artists are convincing and use pieces of information to convince consumers that they are calling for legitimate purposes. If you receive a call requesting personal information, hang up. You can initiate a call back to the Credit Union. NEVER use a number provided by a caller. Always use a number that you obtain from a business directory or ORNL FCU’s website.
- We will not send Text Messages requesting personal or account information. NEVER respond to a text request for personal information.
- Email communications may appear official, but often they are not. NEVER click a link or open attachments within an email that you are not expecting from the Credit Union. When in doubt, contact our Call Center at 800.676.5328 to confirm that we originated the communication. Do not reply or click links until the communication is validated.
- Be especially mindful of communications that request personal information or make offers via links that are not legitimate. Always validate and confirm numbers through a source other than those provide by a caller, email or letter.
- Letters may be generated that appear to be from ORNL Federal Credit Union. Remember, we never request your personal information. If you receive a letter requesting a reply or information update that you are not expecting, do not respond without contacting your Credit Union. Also, NEVER use phone numbers, email addresses or web links provided in any communication. Always validate these personally through another source.
- Report any suspicious requests via email, text or web site content asking for this information, immediately contact ORNL Federal Credit Union and report the incident by calling 865.688.9555, toll-free 800.676.5328, or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Other important reminders:
We always recommend that you take proactive measures to protect your account(s) including:
- Review your account(s) on a regular basis to confirm that all transactions are legitimate and were authorized by you or another account owner. You can monitor your accounts and transactions easily through online, mobile or telephone banking. Transactions through our self-serve channels are available in a timelier manner than monthly paper statements.
- Report any suspicious transactions immediately by contacting the number on the back of your card to report any fraudulent transactions.
- Ensure that ORNL Federal Credit Union has your most current contact information including mailing address, email address and telephone numbers. We make every effort to contact members that may need direct assistance and often email and telephone are the quickest and most effective formats to contact members. To update your information sign in to online or mobile banking or call 865.688.9555.
We remain committed to you and the security of your accounts and private information. Please contact us directly if we may assist you further.